10 Former Russell Athletic Bowl Participants Selected To 2017 NFL Pro Bowl
Later this month, Camping World Stadium will play host to the NFL’s Pro Bowl for the first time ever.
On January 29, AFC and NFC superstars including the likes of Tom Brady, Antonio Brown, Dak Prescott and Orlando’s own Ha Ha Clinton-Dix have all been selected and named to the Pro Bowl rosters, most of which should make the trip to Orlando.
Of the 88 players initially selected to this year’s Pro Bowl, 22 have previously played in an Orlando Bowl including 9 in the Russell Athletic Bowl. Those players are listed below in chronological order of their appearance in the bowl:
- Cliff Avril (2006 Champs Sports Bowl)
- Matt Ryan (2007 Champs Sports Bowl)
- Rodney Hudson (2008 Champs Sports Bowl)
- Travis Frederick (2009 Champs Sports Bowl)
- Devonta Freeman (2011 Champs Sports Bowl)
- Zack Martin (2011 Champs Sports Bowl)
- Xavier Rhodes (2011 Champs Sports Bowl)
- Harrison Smith (2011 Champs Sports Bowl)
- Vic Beasley (2014 Russell Athletic Bowl)
UPDATE: Entering the NFL’s Conference Championship Weekend, several players have pulled out of the game due to injuries allowing several other stars to receive an invitation to play in the game. Of the additions, four more former Orlando bowl participants have been added to this year’s Pro Bowl rosters, one of which competed in the Russell Athletic Bowl.
- Jimmy Graham (2009 Champs Sports Bowl)
With the injuries and additions, the current roster features 24 players that played in an Orlando bowl during their collegiate careers including 10 former Russell Athletic Bowl participants.
Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, who led Boston College to a victory over Michigan State in the 2007 edition of the game, and Seattle Seahawks tight end Jimmy Graham lead all Russell Athletic Bowl alumni with four Pro Bowl selections each. Zack Martin and Travis Frederick are close behind with each earning their third selection this year.
Of the 10 current Pro Bowlers to have played in the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl:
- Six were victorious in their Orlando appearances (Matt Ryan, Rodney Hudson, Travis Frederick, Devonta Freeman, Xavier Rhodes & Vic Beasley)
- Four played in the 2011 installment, more than any other year (Devonta Freeman, Zack Martin, Xavier Rhodes & Harrison Smith)
- Four will be making their first Pro Bowl appearances (Cliff Avril, Vic Beasley, Rodney Hudson & Xavier Rhodes)
2017 Pro Bowl tickets are available now – click here to purchase.